Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Bodacious Broccoli

Well, winter is coming early to Colorado. Today, the slopes opened at Loveland, with A-Basin scheduled to follow on Friday. It's the earliest opening in 40 years, a sure sign that this is going to be a tough winter (right on the heels of a sub-par summer; we Coloradans definitely didn't get our 300 days of sunshine this year).

In spite of our recent hard freeze, I still have broccoli going in my garden, which is a good thing, because, when I'm missing the sun, or just feeling a little under the weather, I often turn to this delicious vegetable to cheer me and make me feel in good health.

Why broccoli? Well, it's outrageously good for you (rich in desirables like fiber, vitamins A, C, and K, calcium, and the cancer-fighting compounds cruiciferous veggies are famous for); moreover, I happen to find it delicious. I often stir fry it with ginger, carrots, and garlic, finishing it with a bit of lemon juice. But recently I tried something new, and it was so unbelievably tasty I had to share it with you.

Based on a recipe by the Barefoot Contessa, this roasted broccoli is sure to change the minds of broccoli balkers.

Festive Broccoli Florets

You'll need:

1-2 bunches of broccoli, cut into florets
Olive oil
Salt & pepper
2-4 cloves garlic, sliced or minced
Zest of one lemon
Juice of one lemon
Handful of pinenuts
Pecorino Romano (or any sharp Italian cheese, such as Parmesan) to taste, grated


1. Preheat your oven to 425˚
2. Arrange florets and garlic in a single layer in roasting pan.
3. Salt and pepper to taste.
4. Toss with olive oil to coat.
5. Roast for about 20 minutes, until broccoli is just beginning to brown.
6. Shift to serving dish and dress with remaining ingredients.
7. Serve immediately.
8. Devour with alacrity (but save some for me).

2 comments:

unspelt said...

I've made this recipe, and it is fantastic! Once even got the attention of a previously-broccoli-hating preteen.

unspelt said...

(actually, mine was my own "based on" Barefoot Contessa, but extremely similar and yummy!)